Chocolate Santa's have been recalled after batteries were found inside
The Co-op grocery chain has announced a nationwide recall of 165,000 hollow milk chocolate Santa figures after two alleged tampering incidents.
A spokesperson for the Co-op said: "Two of the chocolate figures had been found to contain a small button-cell battery. The health and safety of our customers is our top priority. The Co-op will be investigating and the Police and Food Standards Agency will be notified."
No other products are affected.
It is thought that the tampering took place after the Santa's left the factory.
If accidentally swallowed, the small, round batteries can get lodged in the oesophagus and burn a hole through its lining.
The most serious cases are associated with Lithium button batteries larger than 20mm (the size of a 10 pence piece) which can cause severe injury within two hours.
London’s Great Ormond Street Hospital said in September that it had seen a big increase in cases in the past year.
The Co-op said customers with one of these products should not eat it, but call the company’s customer relations team for a full refund.
Anyone who is concerned should call Freephone 0800 0686 727.