Formby OAP News Feed
Welcome To Formby OAP's
Where can I go? what can I do? Are you elderly and live in Formby? The Formby Bubble is here to help you meet other people, get involved in the community, to help you have your say. We also want to hear about your memories of Formby, your stories and your thoughts. We are interested in your unique life and want you to share it with us. All memoirs, stories and letters will appear in the Formby BubbleBook which will become a priceless part of our beautiful Formby for future generations to treasure. You can submit your piece of history by email to email@example.com or you can simply write it down and we will come to you to pick it up. Easy!
· Age UK - Age UK is the organisation formed from Age Concern and Help the Aged. Its is the largest charity working with and for older people.
· Government Direct - This is a government website giving information and advice on a large range of subjects including many of possible particular interest to U3A members including retirement, pension planning, health, benefits, care and disabilities.
· National U3A - Self-help organisation for people no longer in full-time employment providing educational, creative and leisure opportunities in a friendly environment.
· Saga - Saga provides insurance, leisure and financial services for people of a certain age!
· Sefton Citizens Advice - The Citizens Advice service helps people to resolve their problems by providing free advice and influencing policy makers. The main areas of advice are Benefits, Debt, Consumer, Employment, Relationships and Housing.
· Sefton Council - For details of all local government services and news items
· Sefton Local Councils - Provides local information about local council meetings and events in Sefton, including Formby
· Formby Civic Society - fostering and preserving the identity of Formby, to safeguard its natural amenities and to assist with the development of its cultural activities, particularly its history
Things to do
Monday 3pm to 4pm.....Young at heart (Exercise Class to music).....Formby Pool, Studio area. Tel: 01704 879 366
Monday & Thursday 10.30 to 11.15am...Chair Exercises
.....Held at Formby Pool Studio area - Tel: 01704 879 366
Monday (1st & 3rd) 10am-11am...Folk Guitar Group at Doves -Nest Tel: 01704 831 198
Tuesday 10am - 12noon.....Line Dancing at the Doves Nest - Tel: 01704 876 664
Tuesday 8pm.....Ballroom and Sequence Dancing at St. Jeromes Parish Hall. Contact Peter Whiston on 01704 876404 for more details or just come along.
Wednesday Evening (1st Wed of month) 8pm.....Folk Club with Folk music and Barn Dances - Guild Hall, Church Rd, L37 3NG - Tel: 01704 831 198
Thursday Eve 7.45pm to 10.30pm.....Line Dancing at Methodist Hall, Elbow Lane, Tel: 01704 831 439
Friday 9am- 10am Older Persons Swim.....Formby Pool
Useful Links, just click on the link to go to their website.....
The University of the Third Age in Formby was formed in March 1990 and seeks to promote educational activities to its members. They are a voluntary organisation with retired and semi retired people from all walks of life and all ages who meet other members to share interests, expand their skills or acquire new skills. Formbys U3A has almost 1,300 members, covers almost 50 subjects and offers almost 100 different groups. They go on regular outings and holidays. Monthly meetings are held every 2nd Wednesday at 2pm at Holy Trinity Parish Hall and then every 2nd Thursday at 10.45 to 12noon at the Workshop which is behind Flames on Chapel Lane, through the gate and on the left when they are open for free tea/coffee, pick up newsletters, meet group representatives etc. Everyone welcome for drop-in/talk-in.
With almost 100 groups to choose from to enjoy and get involved in, you will be spoilt for choice, here are a few of them.....
Ballroom Dancing, Bridge, Bird Watching, Card Making, Chess, Computing, Cycling, Discussion Group, Family History, Fell Walking, French, Gardening, Golf, Guitar, Jazz, Knit & Natter, Ladies Lunch, Outings, Photography, Puzzles, Science, Scrabble, Snooker & Darts, Theatre Visits, Walking, Watercolour Painting, Wine and Dine...To name a few! There is also a Sunday Lunch Group that meets every 1st Sunday of the month at 1 '0 Clock at various restaurants in Formby.
Why don't you go along to the U3A and get involved, do somthing new and meet some new friends.....Visit their website for all the information including telephone numbers:-
Formby Luncheon Club
Formby Luncheon Club is a great place to start having some fun.....
Meet up for lunch on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Beautiful meals and fantastic company. If you're not good on your legs, that’s OK, you can get picked up by the CTA (Formby Community Transport Association), and they will pick you up and take you to the Luncheon Club.
This is a great part of our community which is run by Formby Council for Voluntary Service (CVS) and they also organise shopping trips, visits to local beauty spots and other places of interest. The Luncheon Club is a separately managed subsidiary of the CVS and organise special events throughout the year for members including Christmas Lunches and Parties, a Summer Club and an annual Birthday Lunch.
You will find The Luncheon Club at 68 Rosemary Lane, Formby, L37 3HA. It is on the corner of Rosemary Lane at its junction with Brows Lane right in the village opposite Formby Pool. There is parking on its forecourt for up to 7 cars.
There address is:
Rosemary Lane, Formby, L37 3HA
Tel: 01704 877311