Stay safely dressed this Halloween
Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service is urging families to think safe this Halloween and be alert to the fire risks from wearing Halloween costumes.
Wearing a Halloween costume is great fun but remember the outfit you have on could easily catch fire from naked flames you may be near such as candles, fires, lighters and matches.
This is especially important with fancy dress costumes as many are currently not manufactured to the same safety standards as normal clothing. This can cause them to ignite almost instantly and burn far faster.
It is crucial therefore to make sure children wearing Halloween costumes are kept well away from naked flames and other sources of heat at all times.
If you are using Halloween pumpkins you should take extra care in lighting them and ensure that no loose clothing is near them at any time, particularly when they are being moved or carried.
If you are putting up Halloween decorations make sure they are placed well away from naked flames or heat sources.
Also make sure that children are never left alone with candles and if using an open fire during Halloween festivities always use a fire guard.
If at all possible always make sure you use an LED battery operated tea light, which do not have a live flame, as opposed to normal tea lights and candles.
Station Manager Paul Kay, Arson Reduction Co-ordinator for Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service said: “Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service would like everyone to enjoy Halloween and Bonfire Night as safely as possible.
“We urge people to be careful of how they dress on Halloween – some costumes bought in shops can be flammable so labels should be checked to see how fire resistant the costumes are.
“Costumes should not be used to genuinely frighten people, particularly those who may be elderly and vulnerable
“Keep clear of all flames such as candles and lit pumpkins, which could cause burns or costumes to catch fire. Ideally, use battery-operated lights in pumpkins instead of candles.
“Never leave children alone with lit candles and make sure they are extinguished before leaving the room.
“If clothing does catch fire remember to STOP, DROP and ROLL; STOP where you are, do not run. DROP to the ground and lie down flat. ROLL over and over on the ground until the flames are out.
"Fireworks should be enjoyed at organised events as they provide safe, controlled displays in places that are suitable. "We would encourage people to take advantage of organised events rather than risking the safety of themselves, their family and friends by using fireworks at home.”
For fire safety advice for Halloween call Merseyside and Rescue Service on 0800 731 5958. It is outside office hours, please leave a message with your details and a contact number 0800 731 5958.
Also seek out the Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service pages on Facebook, Twitter and You Tube.